Next month’s Polis and London Press Club debate Migrants, Terror and the Media: reporting and responsibilities on the front line is now sold out. Join the waiting list here. If you can’t join us on the evening you can follow the debate on Twitter with @LondonPressClub #PolisLPC.
The debate, held in association with the Society of Editors and sponsored by The Independent and the London Evening Standard, takes place at the LSE’s New Academic Building on Thursday February 11 at 6.45pm for 7pm, followed by a drinks reception.
Polis director Charlie Beckett chairs a panel comprised of: Independent columnist and author Yasmin Alibhai-Brown; Channel 4 News international editor Lindsey Hilsum, Today Programme chief correspondent Matthew Price, Buzzfeed senior reporter Rossalyn Warren and Telegraph
The discussion will look at issues including:
· has the news media represented the issues fairly?
· did journalists get the events in perspective and proportion?
· what’s the wider responsibility (if any) for journalists?
· how far should they show emotional engagement?
· how far should they go to try to influence policy-makers?
· what is the role of social media in shaping narratives?
6.45pm for 7pm, followed by a drinks reception.